Covid-19 time deliveries are effected
Mattress buying guide – How to choose the best mattress for you
Sleep Express offer a number of mattresses on sale and we have manufactured thousands over the years, from spring mattresses to mattresses-in-a-box, we bring you a mattress buying guide to help you choose the best mattress for you.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to staying happy and healthy
At Sleep Express, we understand that everyone’s’ sleeping habits are as distinctive as our personalities, which can make finding the perfect mattress super complicated. However, with this mattress buying guide, you we make the decision process a lot easier.
Buying a mattress online requires research, so that you can find the perfect match and you need to understand the technology behind each variant of mattress. And remember, it usually takes in the region of 3-4 weeks to really get used to a new mattress.
Spending the most you can afford on a mattress doesn’t necessarily mean you will find the best mattress for your body type or sleep style. This is why we have written this guide to ensure you choose the perfect one for you.
The different types of mattresses available
- Standard Spring Mattress: An affordable choice of mattress, which would be a great shout for a guest bedroom. They don’t last as long as other mattress if slept on daily, so consider buying this for your child or for your spare bedroom.
(Our favourite standard spring mattress)
- Pocket-Spring Mattress: These are a popular mattress choice by the masses because it is more luxurious, are long-lasting and reduce transfer of movement when sleep on it as a couple. The springs work independently of one another, and offer optimum support for all sleeping positions. Can be bought in different feels, such as soft-medium/ medium-firm and are more breathable than the memory foam or latex alternative.
(Our favourite pocket spring mattress)
- Memory Foam Mattress: Memory foam mattresses are made from a material that will respond to your weight and mould to the shape of your body to relieve pressure from your joints. They are also hypo-allergenic so good for those who suffer from allergies. The downside of memory foam is that some people don’t like the sinking feeling it gives, and they can be said to provide a somewhat hotter sleep.
(Our favourite Memory Foam mattress)
Different mattress sizes:
Here are the UK standard sizes for mattresses:
- Small single: 75cm x 190cm
- Single: 90cm x 190cm
- Small double: 120cm x 190cm
- Double: 135cm x 190cm
- King size: 150cm x 200cm
- Super-king size: 180cm x 200cm
- Emperor: 200cm x 202cm
- Large emperor: 215cm x 217cm
The first step is buying a bed frame and then choosing a mattress that will fit the frame.
(You can check out our full range of bed frames here)
Choosing Mattress firmness:
Mattress firmness is an important consideration for when you are shopping for a mattress – it determines how well you will sleep. Mattress firmness preference is dependent on your sleep style, position and body weight. Here are some recommendations on choosing the right level of mattress firmness for you:
Soft Mattress Feel: This is an excellent choice for side sleepers because it relieves pressure from your spine and moulds perfectly around the contours of your side. This isn’t great if your body weight is on the heavy side though, as it will make moving in the bed and getting up a little more difficult.
Medium Soft Feel: If you are one of those who likes to keep changing your sleep position, then we recommend you go for a medium soft mattress. It helps to relieve pressure, but gives enough bounce so you can sleep comfortably in various positions.
Medium Firm Feel: This one Is great for anyone who sleeps on their back or if they have a higher body weight.
Firm Feel: A firm mattress is a favourite for front sleepers. It’s also the recommended option for anyone over 15 stone in body weight.
Find your perfect mattress
As mentioned before, are three common types of mattresses: basic spring, pocket spring and foam. One mattress cannot possibly cater for all, which is why they come in various feels and materials. As a general rule of thumb, side sleepers will enjoy a softer mattress, stomach sleepers a firm one and back sleepers need something in between the two. If you know your own preference then have a look at the mattress buying guide in this section:
Prefer a mattress with bounce?
Opt for an innerspring-style because it has a bouncy feel but still feels firm.
Interconnected coils are extra-durable, but individual "pocketed" coils, each covered with fabric, reduces the weight transfer effect that happens when someone on one side of the bed moves.
Want a firmer base?
Opt for a memory foam mattress which has less springs and moulds to your body. Check the foam thickness to determine the quality and how deep you will sink.
Hate that sinking feeling?
Then avoid a foam mattress because it tends to make you feel like you are sinking into the mattress. Go for a medium-firm feel inner-spring mattress instead.
How and When to Replace Your Mattress
Generally, mattresses of a good quality should last around ten years. However, you will notice if your mattress needs replacing by the following indicators:
- Do you find yourself waking up with body aches and pains?
- Does your mattress feel lumpy?
- Do you sleep better in other mattresses like in hotel rooms?
- Does your mattress feel extremely hard?
Those are just a few indicators on when it’s time to shop for a new mattress. You can extend the life of your mattress by taking good care of it, using a mattress protector and rotating or flipping it if possible.
How to order your mattress online:
Pick your perfect mattress from Sleep Express and you will receive your mattress delivery within 7-10 working days. Sleep Express offers a Free two-man room of choice delivery service.
If you really need your mattress quicker than this, then please get in touch and we can discuss premium delivery options that will suit you better.
On checkout, you have the option to either pay for your mattress in full, or you can choose to spread the cost with an interest free credit option through our partners DivideBuy. This offers a 0% finance option and they will perform a credit check to ensure you can sustain the payments. The application takes no more than a minute to process. DivideBuy currently have over 96% pass rate on new applicants for finance, one of the highest in the industry.